The church of San Cosimato was originally built in the 10th century in the Trastevere rione. Originally, it was built as a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian, from whom it derives its name, and it carried the added designation of in mica aurea (“in the golden sand”) due to the presence of fluvial sand of yellowish color. Pope Sixtus IV had the church and monastery rebuilt in 1475, and after 1870, the convent was converted into a hospital. The façade of the church looks upon a public square that is also called San Cosimato.
Peculiarities of this little church are the small façade with an elegant portal from the Renaissance (C.XV) and the facing garden that houses an antique granite tub used as a fountain. The interior, with a single nave and a wooden ceiling, offers the splendid vision of the fresco by Antonio Massaro da Viterbo, known as Pastura (Pasture), portraying the “Madonna with child between St Francis and St Clara”. In a chapel is the altar-mausoleum of Cardinal Alderano Cybo Malaspina, made out of elements belonging to the monument of Sansovino, once in the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, where Cybo was once buried. Near the church is a small Romanesque cloister, with arches on coupled columns. In the surrounding area stand numerous architectural fragments from Roman, early Christian and Medieval period.